Google, the Internet search giant has announced that its unprofitable Motorola Mobility unit continues to struggle in its attempt to compete with the world’s smartphone makers. Google said that up to 1,200 jobs would be cut from the Motorola division. Last summer, the Internet giant announced 4,000 jobs would be eliminated at Motorola as well.
The cuts announced on Friday were separate from the ones announced last summer and includes jobs in China, India and the U.S. A Google spokesperson said the company was continuing his job cuts it announced during the summer last year. Google acquired Motorola Mobility last year for the cost of $12.4 billion and at the time of its purchase, Motorola had more than 20,000 employees.
Google made the acquisition of Motorola Mobility so it could acquire more than 17,000 patents Motorola has and to help give the online giant a boost into the mobile device market against rivals. Motorola has lost market share of late to giants Samsung and Apple, while posting only losses since being acquired by Google. The losses since its acquisition in May of 2012 total over $1.1 billion.
A number of industry analysts opposed the purchase of Motorola Mobility by Google, as they thought the acquisition would hurt the company’s profitability and potentially cause problems with other makers of mobile devices that use the Google Android system platform to operate their devices.
Google shares were up on Friday to $835.99 during trading.
Get Analysts' Upgrades and Downgrades Daily - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of analysts' upgrades, downgrades and new coverage with MarketBeat.com's FREE daily email newsletter.