Steem (CURRENCY:STEEM) traded down 1.3% against the dollar during the twenty-four hour period ending at 11:00 AM Eastern on March 12th. Steem has a market capitalization of $629.35 million and approximately $3.97 million worth of Steem was traded on exchanges in the last day. Over the last seven days, Steem has traded 28.9% lower against the dollar. One Steem coin can currently be bought for about $2.49 or 0.00026836 BTC on major exchanges including HitBTC, Bittrex, Poloniex and OpenLedger DEX.
Here’s how other cryptocurrencies have performed over the last day:
- Bitcoin (BTC) traded up 1.3% against the dollar and now trades at $9,377.33 or 1.00000000 BTC.
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) traded 1.3% lower against the dollar and now trades at $1,056.11 or 0.11375700 BTC.
- Counterparty (XCP) traded 15.7% higher against the dollar and now trades at $17.38 or 0.00187195 BTC.
- Crown (CRW) traded 7.9% higher against the dollar and now trades at $2.14 or 0.00023003 BTC.
- Unobtanium (UNO) traded 2.9% higher against the dollar and now trades at $158.32 or 0.01705280 BTC.
- Namecoin (NMC) traded up 1.6% against the dollar and now trades at $1.98 or 0.00021355 BTC.
- ATBCoin (ATB) traded down 0.1% against the dollar and now trades at $0.26 or 0.00002814 BTC.
- CHIPS (CHIPS) traded down 11.1% against the dollar and now trades at $0.40 or 0.00004311 BTC.
- Terracoin (TRC) traded 1.4% higher against the dollar and now trades at $0.18 or 0.00001939 BTC.
- UnbreakableCoin (UNB) traded up 0.1% against the dollar and now trades at $1.07 or 0.00011480 BTC.
According to CryptoCompare, “Steem.it is a blockchain-based social media platform where anyone can earn rewards by posting relevant content, curating quality content by upvoting and by holding Steem based currencies in a vest fund, which generates interest. There are three main currencies in Steemit: Steem, Steem Power (SP) and Steem Backed Dollars (SBD). Steem is liquid and can be bought in an exchange and converted into steem dollars or steem power. Steem Power is basically Steem that is locked in a vesting fund for 3 months. Users can use steem power to upvote content and get curating rewards. When a user upvotes content his steem power gets depleted and then slowly regenerated. Steem Power holders recieve interest from their holdings. The more Steem Power a voter has the more revenue he'll generate for himself (in form of SP) and for the content creator (In SBD). There is also an incentive to upvote content early, as the rewards are distributed according to time. The earliest votes gets the biggest share of the reward. Steem Backed Dollars are there to protect content creators from volatitlity and can be traded for roughly 1 usd worth of steem, in order to cash out from steem. Converting Steem backed dollars into STEEM takes 5 days. Users also recieve interest from holding SBD. T Steem is a proof of work currency with a scheduled blocktime of 3 seconds. Steem PoW mining is done in rounds of 63 seconds by 21 miners (witnesses). 19 of the miners are pre voted, one is the other with the most computational power, and the last one is selected from a queue of witnesses that did not get on the top 19 voted witnesses. 90% of the block reward is allocated to a vest fund to reward curators and PoW miners, the other 10% are made liquid in the form of steem and are used to reward content creators. Steem gets converted to Steem Backed Dollars and sent to the content creator. “
Buying and Selling Steem
Steem can be traded on the following cryptocurrency exchanges: Upbit, Poloniex, HitBTC, Bittrex and OpenLedger DEX. It is not currently possible to buy Steem directly using US dollars. Investors seeking to acquire Steem must first buy Ethereum or Bitcoin using an exchange that deals in US dollars such as GDAX, Gemini or Changelly. Investors can then use their newly-acquired Ethereum or Bitcoin to buy Steem using one of the aforementioned exchanges.
Receive News & Updates for Steem Daily - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and updates for Steem and related cryptocurrencies with MarketBeat.com's FREE CryptoBeat newsletter.